Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

E-books @ your Public Library

E-book readers are the greatest invention since computers!  I love my kindle fire.   For travelers getting an e-reader is the gift that keeps on giving. One can always pay for a book to read on your e-reader, but why pay when you can borrow if from your public library?    I am presently reading an e-book called The Devil in the White City: A Saga of Magic and Murder at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson. Its a well reviewed nonfiction book about the Chicago Fair and a serial killer.  Amazon wants $9.99 for the kindle version.  I can read it for free if I get it from the library.   I can borrow an e-book anywhere we are as long as I have an internet connection.  I use the Pittsburgh Public Library system since I am a member of that library system.   I use Overdrive to borrow a book or an mpg3 audio book!    It doesn't cost a single penny!  Most public libraries use a subscription service called Overdrive. I had placed a hold on that book two months ago. It finally became my turn a week ago.  I was notified by email that the book was available and that I had three days to check it out.  I logged onto Overdrive, checked it out and downloaded it from Amazon.  Now I'm reading it!  Wow!  What a great way to get a new book to read! No money, no driving, just read a book.  For step by step directions on downloading a book from Overdrive visit the page I've written called How to use Overdrive!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:29 PM

    Hi Cousins!
    I was catching up on your travels, hadn't looked at the blog for a long time. It's hard to believe the time has passed so quickly and now you're off to new adventures.
    Talking with our family in NM, and monitoring the daily stories about the fires there and in CO, I was wondering how that would affect your plans to head West later on? From all the pictures I've seen, the smoke is very heavy.
    I marvelled at all the electronic and mechanical calculations which have to be factored in to your trips - the weight, batteries, fuel consumption, transmission fluid temps, etc. WOW!
    Two new tires went on to the truck this morning. The rear set is now on the front. Those two will be the last of that brand and style, my mechanic told me they aren't made any more. Naturally, they lasted two to three years, held up well in the Winter. I can hope the new ones do as well. But taking care of a my F-150 is a lot simpler than all you deal with. Of course, I'm not trying to move my house around with me, either!
    Hopefully, all is going well with your visit in Vermont. My little family will all be together as of next week (start the 28th, for one week). Such a joy to anticipate and we know it will be gone too soon, but so much better than not getting to visit at all.
    You mentioned keeping a calendar, I have you guys on mine for August. That area is a favorite with Christy and her family.
    Travel safely. I'll keep checking the blog. Look at your e-mail once in awhile, I may send something there. Take care. LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know everyone is fine. As for the smoke...you can see from our travel tab that NM isn't until October. By then the smoke will hopefully be all gone. We really enjoyed Darien Lake with A and T. Did you see that post? I bet your folks would like it too. Great for the younger ones.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed. Please consider using our links for internet purchases. We earn a commission!