It had a problem with black mold in 2008. We stripped the house of many many moldy things. Last week we removed more moldy things and looked over some of the other issues.
The well is about a quarter mile away and when you turn on the pump at the house the water goes from the well to a cistern about 500 feet uphill from the house. The cistern is now leaking 250 gallons of water a day.
The shower didn't work. One can not work on a house with asbestos flooring without water and showers. Fixing it required trips to Kittanning for plumbing parts and the removal of a bathroom wall over the stairway. But it got fixed while I cleared grapevines, branches and painted the outdoor furniture. While resting on the porch and looking over the river, we noticed a tree that had fallen.
Did that tree crush the sewer line? $%$%$ Yes. So this trip we bought new line and replaced the old line. That might not sound as bad as it was. It took us all day. This is the second time we have done this job. The entire line is 60 some feet. Enlarge the picture by clicking, on the left there is a white pipe where the tank is located.
We need another connector so near the tree on your left the pipe is still exposed. Yep, its that steep.
Lew tackled the remaining vinyl flooring, which is supposed to contain asbestos, (although we didn't test it).
Here is the hallway we scraped clean.
As to why we are doing this work: we are trying to determine if we can make the house "livable". This view of the river from the living room is one of the reasons we would like to.
In another Post....I will go over the family history of the place.